The Art of Moving Forward is a Top Priority of Every Business Leader and Entrepreneur. But How?
If you wish for a steady stride to navigate the challenges of the coming year, putting yourself in the driver’s seat is key. After all you are the navigator.
As the captain of the ship, what is your highest priority? When we put the question in this nautical context, the answer is obvious; Always be crystal clear on your destination and how you intend to get there.
This sailing metaphor makes this assertion intuitively obvious. It is absurd to think that a captain of a ship, a plane or a bus driver would venture forth without knowing the destination and having plotted the route.
Nor would we, as passengers or crew, choose to embark on any such journey.
Once the captain and his leadership team are clear on the destination and route, the next step is to share this information with the crew and help them understand their responsibilities on the trip.
Inevitably, course corrections are made along the way: route changes, timelines adjusted, emergencies resolved. The plan is routinely updated and communicated to the crew.
As the leader of your enterprise, how effective are you at documenting and communicating the future direction of your business?
- Are your short- and long-term goals clearly defined?
- Does your leadership team know and agree on the “route” – the steps you need to take to reach your destination?
- Do you have a culture that supports the venture? Does everyone understand the “rules of the village”?
- How clear are you and your team on where you are today? is there a common understanding of what you sell, who you sell to, your partners and alliances, and your competitors.
- How clear is the crew on their individual areas of contribution?
- Do you have an adequate number of “seats on the bus”, and are they filled with qualified people?
A business without a working plan is like a ship sailing without a destination.
The art of moving forward requires mapping, communication and action steps just as is required for reaching any destination, whether in business or in your personal life.
For more information and easy to use tools on maintaining a working plan for your business please visit our web site. Share your views and insights about planning with others on the “community comments” section.
Jan 27, 2021 © Plan Genie